The power of KiPro in a 1RU format, the perfect fit for broadcasters transitioning away from tape.
- Transition to file-based workflows: For video facilities transitioning from tape to file-based workflows for recording and playback, Ki Pro Rack offers high-quality, ‘ready-to-edit’ file capture, designed to get material from source to editorial as quickly as possible. With a wealth of professional connections, Ki Pro Rack will fit right into your existing cabling and routing system and record 10-bit Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD files direct to removable hard disk or SSD Storage Modules, eliminating the need for time-consuming logging and capturing. The files can be used in most editing systems without the need for additional transcoding or importing processes.
- Unify formats – speed workflows: AJA’s high-quality up/down/cross conversion makes it easy to unify SD, 720p, and 1080i and create a single desired format for your project. The multitude of video and audio connections such as SDI, HDMI and analog make integrating Ki Pro Rack with other production equipment easy.
- 10-bit, full raster recording: Big on quality – but not on file size. Recording 10-bit, full raster files, Ki Pro Rack gives you high quality images that easily stand up to post processing requirements – and client scrutiny. Compared to 8-bit recording devices, 10-bit 4:2:2 recording (when supported by the codec) provides better quantization, giving a superior representation of the original scene and allowing for more flexibility in post production when adjusting color and balance. By utilizing efficient ProRes and DNxHD codecs, file sizes are kept in check so you won’t need to blow your production budget on extra storage.
- RS-422 Control: RS-422 control allows Ki Pro Rack to integrate easily with supported editing systems and external controllers allowing it to fulfill several of the functions of a traditional VTR. Supported NLEs can even perform assemble edits directly to the Ki Pro Rack. Ki Pro Rack’s RS-422 control can also be used to link a traditional VTR with Ki Pro Rack for direct editing control. Use the editing controls on properly equipped VTRs to control Ki Pro Rack for machine-to-machine transfer of video and audio. This allows tape footage to be captured directly as files on Ki Pro Rack without the need for a separate edit controller.
- Familiar controls and operation: Anyone familiar with the operation of a tape deck will feel immediately comfortable when working with Ki Pro Rack. Just like a traditional tape deck, Ki Pro Rack features straightforward and dedicated transport buttons – record, play, stop, rewind, fast forward – making the device easy to operate with minimal training time. The current status of the system and key configuration information is clearly displayed on the built-in screen. Additional operational information can be found in the STATUS menu which can be accessed even when recording or playing back. The Ki Pro Rack operating system offers users a flat menu structure that is easy to navigate with menu parameters presented in clear and understandable language.
- Professional connections: The video and audio connections on the rear panel of the Ki Pro Rack offer the same standard connectors found on traditional tape decks, allowing Ki Pro Rack to integrate easily with your current cabling and routing. The rear connections include SDI, HDMI, component analog, AES and analog XLR balanced audio, LTC, RS-422 and LAN.
- Reliable storage media: Ki Pro Rack captures directly to reliable AJA KiStor Storage Modules. KiStor modules are available as HDDs or SSDs in a variety of capacities to best suit the demands of your production environment. KiStor modules also feature built-in FireWire 800 or USB 3.0 connectivity for direct connection to your editing system using standard interfaces. However, KiStor modules may also be used with the optional KiStor Dock which features a ThunderboltTM connection for lightning-fast data transfers. The twin media drive bays on the Ki Pro Rack allow extremely fast media changes – you can switch drives and start recording right away, without having to wait to eject the first drive.
- Ethernet file transfer: Utilizing the LAN network functionality, media can be copied to and from the Ki Pro Rack over the Ethernet connection. This allows for fast file transfers without the need to physically remove the media from the Ki Pro Rack, which can be especially useful in larger facilities and cuts down dramatically on the number of people that have to enter the machine room, minimizing the risk of unintentional interference with equipment.
- Remote configuration and operation: In a truck or a machine room, Ki Pro Rack is equipped for advanced remote control and configuration. With a standard Ethernet LAN connection to a host computer and any web browser, all Ki Pro Rack parameter settings, clip selection and transport controls can be controlled; no additional or special software installation is required on the host computer. Multiple Ki Pro Rack units can even be controlled from a single web interface making Ki Pro Rack an ideal solution for multi-camera recordings. Complete developer tools are also available allowing advanced users to script and automate Ki Pro Rack for custom applications.